As an organization focused on improving educational opportunities for college age and older individuals, UNCF does not intend to collect any information form individuals under the age of 13 who are generally not able to participate in UNCF activities.
We collect two types of information:
1. Standard Web server traffic pattern information. General traffic, site usage, and length of stay information is collected and stored in log file.
2. This type of information is shared externally only on an aggregated basis.
3. Personal information. We do not collect personally identifiable information from you unless you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly. If you volunteer, order a product, request information, or donate, for example, we may collect the following information: first and last name, street address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, email address, and subject of inquiry.
Personal information may be needed for certain optional online activities:
If you register to participate in a UNCF event (e.g. a dinner, walk-a-thon, or benefit) using our event registration site, we may ask you if you are a UNCF donor. This information is useful for event purposes. Further, if you elect to use our referral service to inform a friend about the event registration site, we will ask you for your friend's name and address.
Contributions: If you choose to use a credit card to donate or purchase through this site, we collect standard credit card information (card number, card type, expiration date) and keep a record of your financial transaction. Credit card numbers are held only until the charge can be processed (usually several minutes), then the number is only available to Donor Services for purposes of problem resolution. If you choose to donate to our organization, we maintain a record of your contribution.
Requests: If you submit an online request for UNCF products such as free brochures, or submit a question through a "contact us" query, we may have to gather additional information from you to respond to your request. Such information will vary with the request but often includes name, shipping address, telephone number, and email address.
Public Forums: If you choose to participate in a chat room, discussion board, news group or another public forum that we may make available to our users, please remember that any information that you disclose in these areas becomes public information. You should exercise caution when deciding whether or not to disclose your personal information.
We limit the use of information provided to us on our Web site to the following:
1. If you do not make a service request, donation, purchase, or otherwise identify yourself, we will have no personally identifiable information about you. We will only use aggregate information derived, in part, from your use of our site to improve our site and our service to you.
2. If you provide personal information, we may enter your name into our constituent database and contact you in order to:
- Complete voluntary surveys seeking feedback for quality and service improvement purposes.
- Supply you with information including UNCF related news, UNCF programs, events and services.
- Request voluntary time or monetary contributions to UNCF.
- Request your participation in an UNCF research studies.
3. We collect the email addresses of those who communicate with us by email. Inquiries may be forwarded to the appropriate UNCF department for response and may be entered into our constituent database. If your name is entered into the database, we may contact you (see (2) above).
Your information is privileged and confidential and will not be shared or released to any organization or business entity other than those affiliated with or working in conjunction with UNCF as follows:
1. We occasionally make our constituent names and postal addresses available to other reputable non-profit organizations. We have found this to be the most cost-effective method of increasing our database of potential constituents and hope that you value the information they send you. Your name is only available to these carefully screened organizations for a limited time. Other organizations will not have continued access to your name and address unless you choose to respond to their initial mailing. We do not share email addresses.
2. We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf. We will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service and prohibit them from using that information for any other purpose.
3. We have relationships with companies that conduct charitable sales promotions and commercial coventures that support us in our mission and activities. If you provide us with your mailing address, we may pass your contact information to these companies so that they may ask you if you are interested in receiving their services. Your choice to use their services will benefit us; the amount of money we receive from these entities as a result of your participation is disclosed at the time you are contacted about the service. You are under no obligation to respond and the companies are restricted from using your contact information for any other purpose.
We respect your privacy and allow you to restrict internal and external sharing of your personal information. We recognize that you may wish to limit the ways in which we contact you and we offer the following options:
1. Do not contact me by telephone.
2. Do not contact me by postal mail.
3. Do not contact me by email.
4. Do not share my contact information with other non-profit organizations.
5. Do not contact me with fundraising requests supporting UNCF.
6. Limit your fundraising appeals to semiannual solicitations only.
7. Do not contact me or share my information with anyone.
For more information on how to inform us of any desired restrictions, please click on the following link: opt out. If you contact us with an opt-out request, all reasonable efforts will be taken to ensure that you will not receive any of the selected communications from us in the future. If you do not wish to opt out at this time, you may do so at a later date should you so desire.
If you opt back into a specific service, you will receive communication in that manner, regardless of your overall opt out selections. These services may include newsletter subscriptions or email communication by asking a question using "Contact Us."
Upon request, we will provide you with the information we maintain about you so that you may request corrections. This information will be sent via postal mail, which we believe is the most secure method of communication. Please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at:
1805 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
To protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before providing information or making corrections.
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information and to honoring your choices for its intended use. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we strive to maintain physical, electronic, and administrative safeguards.
We process your financial transactions (donations and book purchases) via encrypted SSL sessions. SSL is the industry standard for securing Web-messaging transactions.
Inside UNCF, data is stored in password-controlled servers. Our staff and volunteers are educated about the importance of safeguarding your information and we are committed to holding them accountable for protecting your confidentiality. However, such precautions do not guarantee that our Web site is invulnerable to all security breaks. UNCF makes no warranty, guarantee, or representation that the use of our Web site is protected from viruses, security threats, or other vulnerabilities and that your information will always be secure.
Whenever UNCF permits an external third party to access personally-identifiable information, appropriate procedures are followed to help ensure that the information is used only for authorized purposes and by authorized persons in a manner consistent with the choices UNCF constituents have made under this statement, and that the security, integrity and privacy of the information is maintained. While UNCF will employ procedures to help ensure that your information is only used for authorized purposes as described above, we cannot make any guarantees with respect to the actions or policies of such third parties.
Our privacy policies apply only to your use of the UNCF Web site. This site contains links to other sites, including sites that have a special relationship with us. We do not disclose personably identifiable information to those operating linked sites and we are not responsible for their privacy practices. Links to other sites do not imply an endorsement of the materials or policies on those Web sites. You should read the privacy policies of each site you visit to determine what information that site may be collecting about you.
1805 7th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
We reserve the right to update this policy at any time. If a material change is made to the policy, we will email all registered users at the email address provided at time of registration.