Job Opening: Program Manager – Atlanta
Job Title: Program Manager
Department: Institute for Capacity Building
Location: Atlanta, GA
The Program Manager performs a significant role with the Institute for Capacity Building (ICB) team, managing multiple programs and various stakeholders at assigned institutions. The Program Managers will have the principal responsibility for ensuring that his/her institutions are effectively meeting the goals and objectives of applicable programs. This person is responsible for building strong relationships with faculty, staff, and executive-level members of the institution. S/he’s role is to foster a community of practice experience for institutional cohort and navigating the cohort through program activities.
In addition to managing programs, the Program Manager will help the institutions manage long-term programmatic goals for realistic projections. S/he will also work with the institution’s accounting department to assist with developing and maintaining programmatic budgets. S/he must also help develop strategies and tactics that would support their institutions with successful outcomes.
The successful candidate will lead a pre-set of institutions in multiple donor-funded grant programs. The position requires a highly motivated self-starter. S/he can work autonomously and have the capacity to collaborate when necessary. The Program Manager should be detail-oriented, communicate effectively, and have a strong understanding of program management.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Program Manager reports to the Senior Program Manager. S/he will have a portfolio of institutions and is responsible for managing various programs at those institutions. S/he heads the daily program management activities through the program life cycle. S/he would help plan and execute the overall program and monitor progress along the way. They also manage the program budget and any roadblock identified. S/he will use the institutional engagement strategy (IES) and mitigation strategy (MS) to manage engagement and escalation process with the institutions. S/he coordinates the programs and the inter-dependencies between them. They also work with and manage the stakeholders to establish and perform the deliverables.
- Organizing programs and activities per the guidelines of the grant program
- Creating and managing short and long term goals
- Ensuring the assigned institutions meet the programmatic goals and objectives
- Implementing and managing changes and interventions to the fidelity of the grant
- Engaging institutions utilizing the Institutional Engagement Strategy (IES)
- Gathering feedback, presenting insights, and providing recommendations for an institutional approach
- Oversees the preparation and management of program budgets, programmatic reporting requirements, and other necessary financial documents
- Identifying opportunities for continual improvement
- Liaising with various vendors to understand tools for institutional success
- Travel to off-site meetings and participating campuses to provide point-person assistance and make occasional presentations as needed.
- Develop detailed knowledge to respond to written inquiries and represent ICB with universities, partnering organizations, and national agencies.
- Prepare and distribute products such as e-newsletters, meeting summaries, and learning briefs.
- Works collaboratively with the UNCF Institute for Capacity Building team to cultivate relationships and achieve programmatic goals
- Other duties or responsibilities as necessary
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in higher education, non-profit, or related field
- Minimum of 2-3 years of project management, business administration, consulting or related experience
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate meetings and ability to work effectively and professionally with high-level university and other community leaders
- High level of organization, with the ability to carry out administrative, financial and project activities with accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent analytic, writing and editing skills
- Individual must be a self-starter who can problem-solve and take on a wide range of tasks to deliver results; have a collegial and professional manner; and demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the institutional faculty, administrative and executive offices, and the broader business community
- Must be a self-starter, who can problem-solve and take on a wide range of tasks to deliver results
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects in different phases
- Thrives with detail and deadlines
- Commitment to education
- A commitment to and understanding of the mission of UNCF and ICB