Job Opening: Administrative Assistant, Program Services – Washington, DC
Performs all functions of office operations: schedules appointments, answers phones, maintains office supplies,
computers and office equipment and otherwise relieves officials of clerical work and minor administrative and business detail by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer and direct incoming calls to appropriate personnel, preparing clear and accurate messages if not available.
- Receive, open, date, process and distribute incoming correspondence to department staff; coordinate outgoing
mailings, receive and process responses as needed.
- Organize, update and maintain file system and file correspondence and other records.
- Compose routine correspondence, presentation materials and business letter.
- Create mail merge for mass mailings, e-mails, routine letters, labels and envelopes.
- Obtain necessary signatures/approvals for outgoing communications, and assure the transmittal of accurate data and information both internally and externally.
- Check records, forms and reports for completeness, accuracy of content, proper endorsement and conformance to policy/procedures; correct minor discrepancies and errors independently.
- Process funds via UNCF banking system and record donor and size of contribution.
- Coordinate manager’s schedule, conference calls and appointments.
- Greet scheduled visitors and conduct to appropriate area or person.
- Coordinate and arrange meetings, prepare agendas and materials. Reserve and prepare facilities, and record and transcribe minutes of meetings.
- Proofread reports and written documentation for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors.
- Make copies of correspondence or other printed materials.
- Prepare outgoing mail and correspondence, including e-mail and faxes.
- Order and maintains supplies, and arranges for equipment maintenance.
- Perform special projects and assignments and support staff as directed by management.
Qualifications and Skills
- Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or secretarial school diploma with stenography courses is desirable.
- A minimum of 3-5 years administrative assistant experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Excellent phone etiquette; strong organizational, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge in Microsoft Suite, especially Excel.
- Ability to type 50 words per minute and the ability to work under pressure, in a fast paced environment, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Must have experience with complex scheduling and calendar management.
- Must have the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete them in a timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
Salary Range: $50,000.00 Annually