Job Opening: Chief Operating Officer – Washington, DC
Since our founding in 1944, The United Negro College Fund (UNCF) was built on the belief that there is strength in numbers – that Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) ought to make a joint effort to appeal for funds – as well as the belief that education is crucial to black mobility. UNCF has seen remarkable growth since its founding. At the start, UNCF served 27 member colleges and universities totaling 12,000 students. As of today, UNCF has been able to raise more than $5 Billion and help more than 500,000 students not just attend college, but thrive, graduate, and
We do this in three ways: By awarding more than 10,000 students scholarships, worth more than $100 million, annually. By providing financial support to 37 historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). Lastly by serving as the nation’s leading advocate for the importance of minority education and community engagement. We are proud to announce that the United Negro College Fund, is accepting applicants for its Chief Operating Officer (COO) role. This leader will be the successor to the current COO, Early Reese, whose planned retirement is in mid–2023. The goal is to hire his successor and ensure a smooth transition of responsibilities, prior to Mr. Reese’s retirement.
This individual will directly report to the President, Chief Executive Officer of United Negro College Fund (UNCF), Dr. Michael Lomax. They will provide senior leadership to the organization with respect to financial operations and people leadership. The COO also serves as the direct manager of the leaders of the following departments: People & Culture, General Counsel, Programs & Student Services, Enterprise Technology, Finance & Treasury, Marketing & Communications, Research, Learning & Member Engagement, K–12 Advocacy and Student Professional Development.
Key Credentials and Personal Qualities
- Leadership skills, the ability to get work done through others and set the tone for how work gets done.
- Strategic planning ability and work plan execution.
- Belief that values and culture matters.
- Commitment to results; “can–do” mindset with emphasis on accountability.
- Financial management, budgeting responsibilities and understanding of the treasury function.
- Business acumen, assurance of departmental alignment to support organizational mission.
- Knowledge of Operational Functions, Finance, Human Resources, Legal, Technology and organizational support services.
- Ability to work in a complex, evolving, mission focused organization.
- A commitment to higher education and HBCUs.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or its equivalent
- A minimum of 15 years successful senior leadership experience at a social impact organization.
For Confidential Consideration please send you resume and cover letter to UNCFCOO@JMSearch.com
Louis Montgomery – Partner & Practice Leader, Human Resources and Diversity Officers
JM Search, Inc. – Washington D.C.
Lauren Golden – Vice President, Human Resources and Diversity Officers Practice
JM Search, Inc. – Philadelphia PA.
Nathaniel Morris – Market Analyst
JM Search, Inc. – Philadelphia PA
For more information, please visit: https://uncf.org/about
About JM Search
JM Search is the premier executive search firm focused on building exceptional leadership teams for Non–profits, Middle Market, and Fortune 1000 companies in Industrial, Consumer, Life Sciences, Technology, and allied industries. The most discerning and sophisticated organizations rely on JM Search to deliver the right talent custom–tailored for each situation. JM Search delivers leaders who possess the vision and skills to build market–changing organizations, accelerate growth and maximize shareholder value. Our superior performance and retention record have enabled us to grow to be a Top 15 retained executive search firm in the US. We employ over 100 experienced search consultants from our offices in Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., Seattle, and Los Angeles with an average tenure of 16 years with the firm.