Job Opening: Individual Gifts Officer – Northeastern Region
The Individual Gifts Officer, Northeastern Region, will manage a portfolio of approximately 50-75 individual gift donors. The Individual Gifts Officer, Northeastern Region, will be responsible for identifying strategic opportunities, developing and implementing initiatives to identify, cultivate and solicit donors to ensure a strong base of perpetual financial support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs and implements innovative strategies to identify, cultivate and solicit donors for individual gifts (between $1,000 – $24,999) in the Northeast Region (New York, NY, Newark, NJ, Boston, MA, Philadelphia, PA and Washington, DC).
- Identifies and rates individual donors. Obtains information concerning financial capability, special interests, giving history, and current connections to UNCF and other causes.
- Effectively prepares meeting materials, stewardship reports and gift solicitations including, but not limited to high-quality solicitation materials, proposals and investment decks. Manages communication and donor interactions with programmatic leaders.
- Makes direct, face-to-face solicitations (regionally), and assist regional staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Analyzes prospect research with a keen understanding of moves management to steward donors towards major gifts.
- Utilizes Raiser’s Edge to track and manage donor/prospect portfolio and monitor individual results toward fundraising goal; adhere to timely reporting of results to ensure accuracy of the fundraising pipeline and year-end projection forecasts.
- Provides stewardship over existing and future individual major gift donors.
- Maintains current and accurate files on all individual donors.
- Ensures compliance with UNCF policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Analytical – Collects and researches data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Donor Stewardship – Ensure that a donor’s gift intentions and expectations are met within the parameters of UNCF’s Gift Policies to ensure a long-term, mutually-beneficial relationship. Manage difficult or emotional donor/prospect occurrences; Respond promptly to donor/prospect needs and requests for service or assistance; solicit donor feedback to improve service; meet commitments.
- Ethics – Treat people with respect; inspires the trust of others; work with integrity and ethically; uphold organizational values.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Written and Oral Communication – Writes and speaks clearly, persuasively and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information. Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily:
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally.
- May be occasionally required to work nights and weekends to meet fundraising goals.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or university
- At least 5-7 years of experience in fundraising, with 2-3 years of specific experience in cultivating individual gifts.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Quantifiable experience conducting major fundraising activities at the half million dollar level and below that may include capital and annual giving campaigns;
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills;
- Volunteer management skills; strong planning skills and the ability to multi-task;
- Outstanding human relations and managerial skills; demonstrative initiative;
- The ability to work with minimal supervision;
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Raiser’s Edge.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.