Job Opening – Social Media Manager – Washington, DC
The Social Media Manager (SMM) will work in a dynamic team environment to amplify UNCF’s national work and local engagement efforts, with a focus on building a robust cross-section of ambassadors, supporters and advocates. This role offers the benefits of working for an established organization with more than 70 years of history in the education landscape, while also providing an entrepreneurial experience, since the SMM will also work to build out the K-12 social/digital engagement strategy. The SMM will be based at UNCF headquarters in Washington, DC, occasionally traveling to our UNCF key markets and events across the country.
The SMM should be a well-informed social media strategist, creative communications professional, a demonstrated team player and project manager with experience and a passion for connecting with current and future education advocates.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Set strategy for each UNCF national channel (with a primary focus on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Email and Blog).
- Oversee programming across key social channels (managing Instagram feed and Stories, Facebook posting, Twitter, email planning and production, LinkedIn posting and Blog production).
- Generate and maintain content calendar for all UNCF national channels.
- Generate ideation, execution and production of social media campaigns, creative content and strategies, as well as newsletter.
- Experiment with live-streaming, gifs, audio, and other multi-media storytelling across platforms.
- Stay ahead of social trends, proposing tests and trial programs to expand our presence on new platforms as they gain traction.
- Report and analyze content performance, across social.
- UNCF’s K-12 Initiative is implemented at the national and local level and those responsibilities will include:
- Manage and track content development and dissemination with K-12 and Communications teams. Align external communications and marketing materials with strategic priorities for UNCF, including student outreach, alumni engagement, and greater education influencer engagement.
- Coordinate publication-ready content highlighting K-12 efforts, current K-12 Walton-UNCF Education Fellows and Fellowship alumni, and HBCU presidents, students and alumni for dissemination via internal and external communication platforms.
- Monitor social and traditional media coverage and conversations on the issues important to the K-12 initiative in order to identify key opportunities for engagement, this includes following key reporters, allied organizations, and other influencers.
- Perform regular content development, editing, readership study, and enrichment for digital content for the K-12 initiative.
- Provide regular updates to the Director of K-12 initiatives relative to the status activities.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate is a collaborative individual with 4-6 years of experience working in the fields of social media, communications, journalism, media and/or public relations, along with a commitment to advocating for improved educational outcomes for African-American students. S/he will be comfortable dealing with the ambiguity associated with strategic implementation and should also have the following qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree in an appropriate area of specialization is required.
- Experience strategically distributing content across platforms- in a timely, compelling way
- Experience programming a broad swath of content across platforms- scheduling, optimizing, testing and repackaging
- Keen eye for grammar and spelling
- Obsessive interest in the ever-changing landscape of social distribution and community-building
- Strategic POV on how social platforms (and the ways in which media companies should use them) are evolving
- A habit of reading media outlets and ongoing awareness of what’s going on in the news
- Ability to multi-task and manage own time effectively
- Interest in and understanding of the broader media landscape, with passionate ideas about what great content should look like
- Strong oral and written communications skills with expertise and proficiency in writing, fact-checking, and substantive editing
- Strategic thinking skills with the ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Working knowledge of K-12 and higher education (P-16) educational landscape at the local level is preferred
- Ability to manage and execute highly complex or specialized projects or processes
- Work well independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.