Job Opening: Vice President, Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff (COS) is a mission-critical, senior role that directly reports to and supports the President and CEO. The COS will use strong leadership and problem-solving skills to drive the effective execution of the Office of the President. The COS is responsible for managing stakeholder relationships and performing highly visible projects. The role serves as a trusted advisor and resource, handling confidential assignments and providing other support to the President and Chief Executive Officer. The COS drives progress of key priorities and works in partnership with the Office Manager to ensure that the President and CEO’s time is focused on the highest priority items. The COS is an important link in the communication between the President and CEO and internal and external constituents and works cross-functionally and serves as a key oversight resource.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the President & CEO in prioritizing and executing critical projects, and assumes day-to-day responsibility for any assigned projects and tasks related to the President & CEO responsibilities.
- Serves as a trusted advisor and resource, handling confidential matters and ensures critical assignments are completed accurately and in a timely and efficient manner.
- Tracks priorities to ensure the President & CEO’s time and attention is focused most effectively.
- Attends meetings pertinent to the President/CEO’s priorities and work streams and communicates decisions and action items to appropriate team members. May represent the President & CEO at key meetings and events, when requested.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation and timely delivery of briefings, research, or presentations for the President & CEO.
- Work with the EVP – Development and SVP – Capital Campaign on building and maintaining major donor relationships, research, and ensuring action items are completed effectively and timely.
- Leads or represents the Office of the President in special and cross-departmental projects.
- Manages communications for the President & CEO, preparing briefings on all relevant and current events.
- Acts as a liaison between the President & CEO and board members, member presidents, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Working with the Office Manager the COS receives, evaluates and makes recommendations regarding all inquiries for the President/ CEO’s time.
- Responds promptly to constituent concerns or inquiries by gathering data, coordinating with respective team members or others and prepares responses.
- Collaborates with other team members of the organization to leverage subject matter expertise to assist in executing initiatives relating to the President & CEO.
- Manages follow-up items with appropriate team members and track status to ensure successful outcomes.
- Oversees the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for the effective and efficient operation of the Office of the President.
- Manages budget for the Office of the President.
- Other duties as assigned.
- May supervise one or more employees.
- Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include:
- Interviewing, hiring, and training employees.
- Planning, assigning, and directing work.
- Appraising performance.
- Rewarding and disciplining employees.
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business/Public Administration, or related discipline required. Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in the fields of management consulting, project management or strategy with a focus on organizational effectiveness.
- 5+ years of experience in a non-profit organization a plus.
- Experience supporting a CEO or other C-Suite organizational leader.
- Proactive self-starter and team-player, ready to assist with all projects as required, nimble and flexible work ethic is a must.
- Exhibits sound judgment, discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong influencing skills and can effectively drive project efforts to successful outcomes.
- Superior organization skills, attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Strong ability to navigate interpersonal relationships and promote positive morale and culture; possesses emotional intelligence, compassion and foresight.
- Experience managing diverse and highly skilled teams in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to give and receive feedback to achieve results.
- Strong analytic, strategic thinking, and ability to rapidly problem solve and identify risks.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, MS Project and MS Outlook.
- Leadership – Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Compensation: $180,000 – $225,000.
Salary commensurate with experience and location. Salary range is based on the cost of labor and may be lower/higher depending on geographic locations.