Target Scholars Program: FAQs
What are the components of a stand-out essay?
Consider the following when developing your essay responses:
- Answer the question with a strong central focus.
- Exhibit personal passion.
- Establish a definite point.
- Use appropriate vocabulary; sentences are clear and varied.
- Minimal mechanical errors; use complete sentences.
What does the Target Scholars Program Scholarship cover?
The Target Scholars Program scholarship pays towards all eligible items in a student’s cost of attendance, including:
- Tuition and fees
- Room and meals
- Books and supplies
- Other eligible costs
What are Target Scholars expected to do?
Target Scholars must:
- Communicate regularly with their College Success Coach.
- Participate in professional and leadership development opportunities.
What is the application process and selection timeline?
Applications and recommendations must be submitted online through the UNCF website by July 19, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. ET. As part of the application, students are required to submit a recommendation from a non-relative, two essays (each no more than 300 words), and a high school transcript including courses and grades through the student’s senior year.
Applicants will be notified in August if they have been selected as a Target Scholar.