Job Opening: Writer/Editor – Washington, DC
The Writer/Editor will serve as a primary writer and editor for the organization and play an active role in the development and delivery of organization-wide publications, talking points, reports, op-eds, newsletter content, annual reports, speeches, media materials and other communique. This position will reside within the Branding, Marketing and Communications Department and will collaborate with the Office of the President, Public Policy and Government Affairs, Development, the Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute, the Institute for Capacity Building, the Scholarships and Programs, Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and Advocacy Departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as principle writer and editor for a wide variety of print and electronic communications and/or marketing projects as well as the President and CEO.
- Draft and edit a range of national and local media, marketing and communications materials on behalf of UNCF.
- Draft and edit presentations for Board of Directors and for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist with the development and drafting of social media content across all platforms.
- Provide assistance with the execution of media outreach strategies.
- Ensure that all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice.
- Draft and edit content for correspondence, internal and external presentations, internal blogs, brochures, website speeches, talking points, testimonials, policy papers, proposals, social media and various other marketing and communications materials.
- Manage multiple writing projects.
- Edit and develop proposal templates, collateral materials and fundraising presentations.
- Responsible for editing and drafting letters to Congress; testimony; fact sheets; take action letters and E-blasts; social media and website content; press statements; reports, issues briefs, updates and newsletters.
- Prepare related talking points and speeches for the President and CEO.
- Assist with editing and drafting content for public awareness campaigns to support and drive agenda to strengthen and preserve our Member institutions before the White House, Congress, federal agency staff and others.
- Assist with raising awareness of UNCF federal policy priorities.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.). English, Journalism, Public Administration or related discipline preferred.
- Experience in a range of writing styles (media, newsletters, business, annual reports, speeches, etc.).
- Previous experience working in a busy corporate or non-profit environment, communications firm (media or organizational) as well as in education, policy or development required.
- Must have excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills. Familiarity with AP style required.
- Advanced writing skills.
- Ability to research, analyze and translate facts, data, briefing documents, legislation, reports.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven, team-oriented environment.
- Full knowledge of grammar and style.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
- Translate background information and detailed materials into speeches, talking points, media materials, student testimonials and profiles, newsletter articles, social media content and reports.
- Ability to draft effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics.
- Reasoning Ability – Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.