“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and around the country?
UNCF Seattle is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around. Our goal is to be able to provide every local minority student with the funds they need to support their college education and promote awareness of UNCF in the Pacific Northwest.
UNCF Each One Teach One: Jazz in the Garden
Thank you for attending Each One Teach One Jazz in the Garden. The event was a huge success thanks to our sponsors and friends of UNCF Pacific Northwest!!
Highlights from UNCF Each One Teach One Jazz in the Garden
2023 Stepping Toward Success Tennis Shoe Brunch, College and Career Fair Recap
UNCF Pacific Northwest hosted its annual Stepping Toward Success Tennis Shoe Brunch and College and Career Fair on October 1, 2023, at Garfield High School in Seattle, Washington. There were over 150 people in attendance for the brunch. Guest enjoyed delicious food provided by Classique Catering, an amazing tap dance performance by Northwest Tap Connection, and most importantly, guests heard amazing and heartfelt stories from students in the UNCF Portfolio Project Program.
The College and Career fair had over 300 participants. Students attended career and college workshops, a special mental health workshop, and visited with admissions counselors from over 20 colleges and universities, 10 of which were HBCUs and UNCF member institutions.
It was a fantastic day of community fun that focused on the importance of education and career development!
Thank you to our sponsors, volunteers, and staff for making the day a huge success!!
Please enjoy highlights!!
February’s UNCF Sunday Making a Mark Across Washington
Seeking the faithful on Sunday, Feb. 26 to ensure HBCUs remain operable during the pandemic and deserving students across Washington have the funds to get to and through college.
Join UNCF Sunday on 2/26 to give the gift of knowledge and help create better futures for young men and women who belong to faith communities across the country. #UNCFfaith#HBCUStrong
To get involved as individual or organization contact Dallas Richardson.
Alaska Airlines, UNCF Celebrate Education and Equity with Special Aircraft
In partnership with UNCF, Alaska Airlines’ special aircraft is a symbol of their commitment to education and advancing racial equity at Alaska Airlines, and the company hopes it inspires others as well.
One of the airline’s diversity, equity and inclusion commitments is to help create career pathways for young people by supporting programs like UNCF, the nation’s largest and most effective minority education organization, who they been working with for more than 15 years. On April 26, the airline revealed a special aircraft that symbolizes their support for education and equity – called “Our Commitment.” We know there is much more to do, and this airplane is a flying reminder of the journey. Revenue service for the aircraft begins on April 27, with an inaugural flight from Seattle to Washington D.C. >>Read More
Did You Know?
UNCF Seattle provides support to local students in many ways, including:
- Portfolio Project 2019-20 students: 100 students
- Portfolio Project Scholarship recipients: 30 students
- Gates Millennium Scholars: 364 students
- Alaskan Scholarship recipients: 9 students
- Pacific Northwest Scholarship recipients: 13 students
- Local students attending UNCF-member institutions: 235 students
UNCF Leadership Council
- Kercedric W Holley-Bell, US Bank
- Alison Francis, Costco
- Jack McCullough, McCullough Hill PLLC
- Lisa Smith, WE-Communications
- Chelsia Berry, Seattle Central College
- Dwane Chappelle, City of Seattle Department of Education
- Dr. Al Black, University of Washington, thirty-five years, Retired.
- Ron Bennett, American Pacific Mortgage
- Anthony Metoyer, Boeing
- Debra Smiley, Laird Norton Wealth Management
- La Shanda Hurst, Microsoft
- Carmen Best, Microsoft
- Sarita Carter, Seattle Seahawks
- Joelle Skaga Nausin, Alaska Airlines
- Dr. John Dockins, Evergreen Health
- Isa Ellis, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Sean Greenlee, UW School of Medicine
- Carrie Callaway Cardy, Key Bank
- Heather Goldsmith, Info Gain
- Andrew Liu, Andersen Tax Corporation
- Michelle Harry, PACCAR
- Sandy McCullough, Communications Consultant
- Vivian Jackson, Starbucks
- Alia Black, Department of Treasury
- Nicole Black, CMS
- Sabrina Smith, Home Lending
- Brooke Spearman, Talent Acquisition Program Management
- Sarah Keiming, Alaska Airlines
- Dexter Harris, Amazon
- Carl Gipson, AT&T
- Tamara Brown, Heritage Bank NW
- Zachary Clay, Warn Automotive
- Tiffany Dempsey, Kairos PDX Elementary School
- Joy Fowler, Multnomah County
- Bob Gravely, PacifiCorp
- Michelle Harper, Portland Parks & Recreation (Retired) Chair
- Sheila Holden, PacifiCorp (Retired)
- Mimi Hunter, Nike
- Ramiah Israel, PGE
- Keyanus Jacobo, Nike
- Denise Johnson, City of Gresham
- Shauncey Mashia, Jordan Brand
- Kelly L. Michael, Kaiser Permanente
- Larry Miller, Jordan Brand
- Whitney Pettigrew, Kaiser Permanente
- Cameryn Rutlin, Jordan Brand
- Shelia Searight, Intel
- Patricia Simpson, Nike
- Jo’Rita Williams, Kaiser Permanente
- Contesa Diaz-Nicolaidis, Alaska Airlines
- Jennifer Yocom, NW Natural
- Angela Nelson, Travel Portland
- Curtis Shirey, CFO/Founder, Aspasia Wealth Management
- Jeffrey Scipio, Intel Corporation (Retired)
- Vonnie Gaither, Community Volunteer, Retired
- Johnny Gibbons, Dickerson and Gibbons Inc.
- Dr. William Green, Pastor, Eagle River Missionary Baptist Church
- Ruth McConnell, Community Volunteer
- Marva Watson, Director of Diversity, University of Alaska Anchorage