Johnson C. Smith University
Johnson C. Smith University is an independent new urban university located in Charlotte. The University continues to gain a national reputation for integrating the liberal arts with business, the sciences and technology in innovative, socially conscious ways to empower tomorrow’s diverse entrepreneurial citizens and leaders.
Today, JCSU offers a progressive curriculum with 24 fields of study to nearly 1,500 students who come from a variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds. The enriching environment enables students to explore and grow– intellectually, socially, culturally and spiritually – and develop a sense of social responsibility.
Happy Founder’s Day, JCSU!
Take an online tour
Johnson C. Smith University Facts
Read JCSU Points of Pride
- JCSU is ranked the #1 private HBCU in North Carolina by U.S. News & World Report (2020).
- Two JCSU students selected to attend 2019 Forbes Under 30 Summit. Anthony Edwards ’21 and Ramoya Grandison ’20 were among the best young leaders, founders and creators to connect, learn, teach and build.
- JCSU was selected for IBM’s First Quantum Education and Research Initiative for HBCUs. As part of the multi-year Skills Academy Academic Initiative in Global University Programs, IBM pledged more than $100M in assets, including guests lectures, curriculum content, digital badges, software and faculty training to select HBCUs.
- The JCSU women’s tennis team was named an ITA All-Academic Team for the fourth time. Six Golden Bulls players earned ITA scholar-athlete honors for the 2019-20 season.
- JCSU united with UNC Charlotte, Queens University, Johnson & Wales and CPCC to support racial healing and transformation. The colleges are collaborating to listen to Charlotte’s many racial truths, encourage a community that understands its history of race and racism, and develop student, university, and community leaders who work across our region towards truth, racial healing, and equity. The effort is supported by the Consortium’s selection as a Truth,Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Center by the American Association of Colleges & Universities.
News and Events
JCSU has been a stepping stone and I wouldn’t trade it for anything
Shaquana Janeisha Douglas ’18 Bachelor of Science degrees in biology and chemistry