“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in New Jersey and around the country?
UNCF Newark is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around
New Jersey: Don’t miss UNCF’s most fun event–the 2021 UNCF Virtual Walk for Education, Saturday, Sept. 18!
Visit UNCF.org/NewJerseyWalk for information and to register.
Did You Know?
- 9 out of every 10 applications are denied due to lack of financial resources.
- A $5,000 scholarship dramatically increases UNCF recipients’ rate of retention and likelihood of graduation.
- Your donation helps area students achieve their goals.
BD Supports UNCF through its 21 Racial Equity and Social Justice Challenge
To celebrate the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service and Black History Month, the African Americans at BD associate resource group invited BD associates to “opt in” to receive daily content to expand their awareness and understanding of racial equity and social justice issues.
Nearly 6,000 BD associates opted in to participate. They reviewed nearly 50 pieces of content – educational videos, podcasts, news articles and expert commentary, covering contents including racial disparities in criminal justice, healthcare; education and opportunities to participate in civic engagement; over 21 days. For every associate who joined in, BD donated $10 to a non-profit organization committed to racial equity or social justice.
In honor of BD associates’ participation in this initiative, BD donated $60,000 and UNCF Newark is one of the four organizations selected to receive a donation.
UNCF Newark 2020-21 Leadership Council
- Sara Baxter-Orr, 2021; SVP & Global Head, CFO Practice, Anaplan
- Regine Clarke-Rodriguez, 2020- current; Vice President, Sr. Philanthropic Officer, BPG NJ Tri-Chair
- Rev. Kenneth Clayton, 2013-current; Pastor, St. Luke Baptist Church
- Joyce Dudley, 2010-current; President and Principal, Dudley Hamilton Associates
- Lissa Jean Ferrell, Esq., 2014-current, Chair; LJF Consulting, LLC
- Recia Howard, 2020-current; Director, Programs for Parents
- Dr. Avery Ince, 2020-current; US Scientific & Medical Affairs Strategy Lead, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Eric Kahn, Esq., 2019-current; Managing Shareholder, Javerbaum Wurgaft Hicks Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins
- Vaughn L. McKoy, JD, MBA., 2010-current; Attorney, Inglesino, Webster, Wyciskala & Taylor
- Tyretta Meadows, 2015-current; Senior Manager for the Lean Center of Excellence, TD Ameritrade
- Dele Oladapo, 2020-current; Vice President and Chief Information Officer for the Corporate Functions Technology, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Tammeisha Smith, 2012-current; President and CEO, Dunbar Center, Inc.
- Everton Scott, 2020-current; Senior Public Affairs Manager, PSEG