“A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a wonderful thing to invest in.”® Why not invest your time or money in better futures for young people in New Jersey and around the country?
UNCF Newark is here to help you send a student to college and turn his or her life around.
Cultivating a Growing Need for STEM Expertise
The celebration of National Black History Month in February provides a nice setting to talk about diversity and STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). The growing need for STEM expertise in today’s job market means that society cannot afford to overlook any talented STEM graduates, such as those attending HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities).
HBCUs represent just 3 percent of all higher-education institutions in the United States, yet they produce 25 percent of African American graduates in STEM fields. This is significant because African Americans continue to make up a lower share of STEM graduates relative to their share of the adult population, according to the Pew Research Center, despite the growing knowledge that diversity is an important attribute for job candidates. >>Read More
Highlights of UNCF NJ Masked Ball 2022 in Pictures
Did You Know?
- 9 out of every 10 applications are denied due to lack of financial resources.
- A $5,000 scholarship dramatically increases UNCF recipients’ rate of retention and likelihood of graduation.
- Your donation helps area students achieve their goals.
UNCF Newark 2020-21 Leadership Council
- Rev. Kenneth Clayton, 2013-current; Pastor, St. Luke Baptist Church
- Joyce Dudley, 2010-current; President and Principal, Dudley Hamilton Associates
- Lissa Jean Ferrell, Esq., 2014-current, Chair; LJF Consulting, LLC
- Dr. Avery Ince, 2020-current; US Scientific & Medical Affairs Strategy Lead, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Eric Kahn, Esq., 2019-current; Managing Shareholder, Javerbaum Wurgaft Hicks Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins
- Stanley King, Esq., 2023-current; Partner, Javerbaum Wurgaft Hicks Kahn Wikstrom & Sinins.
- Vaughn L. McKoy, JD, MBA., 2010-current; Attorney, Inglesino, Webster, Wyciskala & Taylor
- Tyretta Meadows, 2015-current; Senior Manager for the Lean Center of Excellence, TD Ameritrade
- Robin Nesbit, 2023-current; Compliance Business Partner, Bayer Corporation.
- Dele Oladapo, 2020-current; Vice President and Chief Information Officer for the Corporate Functions Technology, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Everton Scott, 2020-current; Senior Public Affairs Manager, PSEG.
- Tammeisha Smith, 2012-current; President and CEO, Dunbar Center, Inc.
- Kimberly Williams, Esq., 2023-current; Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, New Jersey State Department of Banking and Finance.