Consider a Career in Digital Design
Digital design is a dynamic and rapidly growing field that offers many opportunities for creative individuals with a passion for technology and visual aesthetics. Recently, there’s been a much-needed push for greater diversity and inclusion in various industries, including digital design. Research shows that diversity is a factor in creativity, making the inclusion of African American designers and other designers of color crucial to the future of digital design. And current Black designers agree, advocating for more diversity in the design field.
The Role of Digital Design
Digital design encompasses multiple disciplines and involves creating and manipulating visual content for various digital platforms, including websites, mobile applications, video games, and multimedia presentations. Digital designers employ their creative skills and technical expertise to effectively communicate messages, enhance user experiences, and bring ideas to life through visually appealing designs.
Black Professionals Are Underrepresented in Digital Design
Representation and diversity within the field of digital design are crucial to foster innovation and ensure the inclusion of various perspectives. Yet, according to a study conducted by the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA), only three percent of designers in the US identify as Black or African American. This clearly demonstrates there needs to be more diversity in the design decisions that shape our digital experiences. It’s essential to bridge the gap and encourage more Black individuals to pursue careers in digital design.
The best way to increase Black professional representation in the digital design field in the future is for Black students to enroll in digital design programs in the present. If you are a young adult considering a degree in digital design, reach out to UNCF today with a Major Interest Form to learn more about HBCU design programs and how we can help you achieve your goals.
People of all ages, races, and life paths can help to improve diversity in digital design by supporting scholarships and other forms of funding for HBCUs. You can make a difference in the lives of design students—and justice in the industry—in one easy step by making a donation today.
Career Opportunities in Digital Design
Pursuing a career in digital design offers Black individuals an exciting opportunity to combine creativity and technology. Earning a degree in digital design equips individuals with the necessary skills to thrive in various exciting and rewarding careers, including:
- User Interface (UI) Designer: UI designers focus on creating visually appealing and user-friendly interfaces for websites and applications. They collaborate with developers to ensure seamless user interactions.
- User Experience (UX) Designer:UX designers specialize in crafting engaging experiences by conducting user research, prototyping, and designing interactions. They strive to enhance user satisfaction and usability.
- Graphic Designer: Graphic designers combine visual elements, typography, and images to communicate messages. They work on projects like branding, marketing materials, and digital campaigns.
- Web Designer: Web designers conceptualize and create visually captivating websites that align with client requirements. They consider factors like user experience, functionality, and aesthetics.
- Motion Designer: Motion designers produce animations, videos, and interactive elements that enhance user engagement. They utilize their storytelling and visual effects skills to bring digital experiences to life.
These are just a few examples of the numerous career paths available to digital design graduates. The field continues to expand and adapt to new technologies, ensuring a wealth of opportunities.
Want to learn more about this possible career path and college major? Have questions about which UNCF colleges and universities offer this program? Looking for help with financing this degree?
UNCF Schools to Consider
These UNCF-member HBCUs have high-quality programs in digital design that you can consider:
- Clark Atlanta University
- Delaware State University
- Dillard University
- Hampton University
- Howard University
- Johnson C. Smith University
- Morehouse College
- Morgan State University
- North Carolina Central University
- Prairie View A&M University
- Spelman College
- Tennessee State University
- Tuskegee University
- Virginia State University
- Xavier University of Louisiana
Many professional organizations can provide more insight into some of the specializations in this discipline. A sample list includes:
- Organization of Black Designers
- Black UX Collective
- Society of Illustrators, Artists and Designers
- American Institute of Graphic Arts
Scholarships and Programs
Several organizations offer scholarships, competitions, and programs for digital design students. The American Institute of Graphic Arts offers the AIGA Worldstudio Scholarships. You can also search for current UNCF scholarship opportunities and check with colleges and universities to see if additional scholarships are available. You can find tips on applying for scholarships and grants here.
Reach out for guidance by submitting a major interest form if you are interested in a career in digital design. Submit the form on our website to get started, and follow us on UNCF’s social media channels to receive notifications about our scholarships and member HBCUs. Reach out today!
You can also show your support for students pursuing careers and furthering equity in digital design by contributing to UNCF member schools. Education is the greatest tool we have in creating a just and equitable society in which economic mobility is available to all. Help us achieve this future by donating today!